The RCAF’s No.404 “Buffalo” Squadron

Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X, S/N NE425 of No. 404 Squadron RCAF at Davidstow Moor as it appeared in May, 1944 (note the absence of D-Day stripes dating it prior to 6 June, 1944)

The Royal Air Force Coastal Command Constant Endeavor

RAF Coastal Command

Over 13,000 men and women served in Coastal Command during the Second World War, and 5,866 lost their life through doing so. The Command lost 2,060 aircraft to all causes, but not without result; in action from the first day of hostilities until the last, it flew over one million flying hours in 240,000 operations, and destroyed 212 U-boats. Coastal Command sank 366 German transport vessels and damaged 134. A total of 10,663 persons were rescued by the Command, including 5,721 Allied crews, 277 enemy personnel, and 4,665 non-aircrews.

Their task was on the face of it, a relatively simple one and comprised both offensive and defensive operations. The Command’s primary mission was convoy defense against U-Boats, a long range war in which they gained the upper hand in 1943 and never subsequently relinquished it. More U-Boats were sunk by Coastal Command aircraft that by any other branch of the allied armed forces. Closer to home, they were to attack and interdict enemy shipping wherever it may be found. Enemy shipping varied of course; submarines and warships, fast patrol boats, freighters and transports.

U-Boats stood little chance against an aircraft if caught on the surface in daylight; U426 here the victim of an effective RAF Coastal Command attack

The versatile Bristol Beaufighter and superlative DeHaviland Mosquito provided awesome firepower for shorter range attack and interdiction missions. Flying at squadron strength and armed with varying combinations of cannon, rockets, torpedoes and bombs, these twin engined offensive weapons were able to devastate enemy shipping in ferocious squadron attacks.

A pilot’s eye view of a Beaufighter attack; note the rocket on its way to target on the right

Royal Canadian Air Force No.404 Squadron, Ready to Fight

The Buffalo Squadron

The aircraft depicted in the modelling piece below belonged to No.404 Squadron of the Royal Canadian Air Force, serving under the operational control of the RAF. Their experience during the war was typical of the those squadrons tasked with enemy shipping interdiction and coastal defense. The squadron was formed at Thorney Island in Sussex, England on 15 April 1941 and, along with many other squadrons, was tasked with coastal patrol and attack; initially with Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV’s & later, the formidable Beaufighter.

The squadron’s early days were filled with training and coming to grips with their task. 1941 was a learning year and like any learning process there were losses as well as gains. September saw the squadron’s first loss, a Blenheim with 3 crew killed; on October 19 another Blenheim was lost when it’s crew were unable to find the airfield flare path returning late from a convoy escort sortie and crashed into the sea for the loss of three. Losses continued in November with three KIA and two injured when two aircraft collided during a training sortie and then three more were posted as missing on the 11th when their Blenheim failed to return from it’s mission.

A crew of a Bristol Blenheim Mark IV of No. 404 Squadron RCAF, prepare to take off from Dyce, Aberdeen, in the evening of 17 May 1942, to take part in the attack on the German heavy cruiser PRINZ EUGEN off Norway. Six Blenheims were detailed to accompany the strike force of Bristol Beauforts in order to make dummy torpedo attacks on the cruiser so as to confuse the enemy anti-aircraft defences, and to provide fighter cover. Image Source IWM

In January 1942, now based in Wick, Scotland 404 Squadron was tasked with coastal interdiction of enemy shipping along the Norwegian coast. The year began badly however when AC2 Gregory was killed after walking into a running propeller; in February two more ground crew were killed and four injured during an attack by a lone Ju-88. Later the same month a damaged Blenheim returning from operations in Norway crash landed on the Island of Grunay with all three crew members killed. Eight aircraft were lost during the remainder of the year; 1942’s casualties amounting to eighteen killed, two missing and one POW. It’s both interesting and saddening to contemplate that of the nine aircraft lost in 1942, at least six were lost to causes other than enemy action. Coastal flying was proving to be very dangerous indeed.

RAF Wick in Caithness, far North East Scotland

Still part of the 18 Group Wick Strike Wing out of Northern Scotland, 1943 opened quietly. One aircraft was lost in March (accident), another in May and a third in July, the latter two both shot down by enemy fighters over Norway. As an illustration of just how many ways it was possible to be killed in wartime, the tragic loss of a Beaufighter (s/n LZ135, coded EE-Y) on 3rd September serves as a prime example. As reported in the squadron diary; “Very bad happening today again as Frank Woolhouse (Aircraft Rigger) was going on leave and caught a ride down to Leuchars in one of our new “Beaus.” They had no sooner left the drome [sic] than the pilot started to do some low flying and struck the top of a house knocking off the chimneys which broke the tail off the plane which crashed killing all three in the plane.

Through the remainder of 1943 a further five Beaufighters were lost, including two in December shot down while attacking U-1062 and minesweeper M489. The losses for the year amounted to ten aircraft with twenty one killed or missing aircrew.

The squadron spent the first four months of 1944 in Scotland before moving south in preparation for the D-Day landings; these last months in Scotland were expensive however. In January four aircraft were lost with all eight aircrew killed or missing during attacks on enemy shipping along the Norwegian coastline. Three more were lost in March for a further six KIA, and just before the move south LZ446 was lost with both crew members when an engine failed and their Beaufighter stalled and nosed into the sea.

In May 1944 they moved to RAF Davidstow Moor in Cornwall, England and from there took part in the D-Day and its subsequent operations. On 6th June, they were asked to provide one aircraft for anti-submarine patrol while the remainder of the squadron was placed on standby. In the late afternoon they were sent to intercept three German “Narvik” class destroyers.

D-Day brought success to 404 Squadron; here a Beaufighter peels away from the camera

Upon finding the destroyers, four of 404’s Beaufighters launched their rockets at the rearmost one and claimed several underwater hits. The remaining nine Canadian crews attacked the middle destroyer, setting it on fire. After firing their rockets, all thirteen aircraft repeatedly attacked with cannon fire. All of the German ships had been damaged when the attacking aircraft broke off to return home.

RAF Davidstow Moor in 1944

June and July were busy, however while the squadron lost no aircraft to enemy action it did lose one aircraft in each of those months to accidents with both sets of aircrews killed. August turned against them though, in a month of heavy action along the French coast one Beaufighter was lost on each of the 3rd, 8th, 12th, 13th and two lost on the 26th, all while attacking enemy shipping.

404 Squadron Beaufighters attacking enemy shipping; the firepower these aircraft’s disposal is clearly evident in this classic image

In early September, 1944 the squadron moved for the last time, north again to Scotland to join the Banff Wing at RAF Dallachy in Scotland as one of four Canadian Beaufighter-equipped squadrons in the Wing. The losses continued almost without break though; on 15th September NE341 was lost during an attack on merchant shipping. Both aircrew survived the ditching but tragically Flt.Lt. Taylor drowned while trying to swim to the life raft. His pilot, F/O J. Beribeau survived and was captured. The final losses of the year were four aircrew killed when two Beaufighters collided and crashed during a training mission.

A Beaufighter, flown by Lt L.C. Boileau, 404 Squadron, firing rockets at German merchantmen Aquila and Helga Ferdinand near Fjord Migdulen, November 8th, 1944. Both ships were sunk.
National Defence Image Library, PMR 93-073.

The final year of the war opened with a lossless January while the pace of interdiction missions continued apace. February was to prove disastrous though. On 9th February, 1945, known later as “Black Friday” the 404 Buffaloes took part in an attack on German shipping sheltering in a strong defensive position in Førde Fjord, Norway. The protected position occupied by the German vessels forced them to attack through massed anti-aircraft fire. Nevertheless, they pressed home their attack. In response to the action the Luftwaffe scrambled Fw190’s from Jg5 in defense and despite an escort of Mustangs from 65 Squadron, RAF, the Wing suffered severe losses both from the ships they were attacking and the German fighters sent to protect them. All told, nine Beaufighters and one Mustang were lost; 404 Squadron lost six Beaufighters with ten KIA and one POW.

Attacking merchant shipping with rockets was an up close and personal style of attack…

Following the losses from “Black Friday” the squadron regrouped and continued operations along the coast of Norway. With the war coming to an end, some of these missions were of questionable value which make the lost aircraft on 6th, 8th and 24th of March more poignant, if not tragic. The March losses added seven missing and one KIA to 404’s honour role.

Missions were still being scheduled right up until the German surrender. For 404 though the worst was over, they suffered no further losses after the 24th March. The end for the squadron came sooner than for many, No.404 Squadron, RCAF was disbanded at Banff on 25 May, 1945.

Through the course of the war 404 Squadron lost 54 aircraft to all causes. Of these, 25 were as a result of enemy action and the remainder being lost to accidents, or causes unknown. In total, the squadron lost 112 dead or missing, six wounded and four POW. Three ground crewmen were also killed. As a measure of just how difficult it was to fly these missions, over water and into weather, fourteen of the aircraft lost (mostly Blenheims), with their thirty-eight crewmen, were lost to weather and other flying related accidents.

RAF Banff, Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1943

Tamiya 1/48 Scale Bristol Beaufighter TF Mk.X

There’s not much to write about the construction of this kit. It starts with the cockpit into which I applied enough effort for it to look good through the kit glass. The kit parts provide enough detail for this purpose, at least in my opinion. While it is possible to pose the glass open there are few pictures showing operational aircraft in this configuration, I decided to close everything up.

As for the remainder of the construction, it went more or less without a hitch. I used a very sparse amount of filler – Mr. Surfacer 1000 only, as it turned out – and this aside, the fit was very good. My only error was getting a little ahead of myself and attaching the engines, which I’d already painted. Next time I’ll leave them off as well as the cowlings until after painting. They were easy enough to mask, however.

I used Eduard masks for the clear parts and Tamiya tape for the rest of the masking. After a wash with soap and water and a final wipe down with Windex it was ready for paint.

Having decided on an RAF Coastal Command aircraft, the scheme itself was quite straightforward. The interest in it would lay for me, and hopefully for you, in the style and execution of the weathering I hoped to achieve. I started with the underside using Vallejo Model Air Sky Type S. I’m getting better with these paints and while they aren’t as user friendly as Tamiya acrylics, they do finish well. With the underside covered, I masked and painted the upper surfaces to complete the basic paint job.

As I’ve mentioned before I don’t pre-shade, instead following a more naturally progressive process of weathering in the order in which it would actually occur on the real aircraft. In practice this means once the airframe is painted as if factory fresh, I gloss coat and then apply all the markings so that they are weathered in the same progression as the rest of the model.

Prior to the gloss coat I distressed the paint with some vigorous rubbing with paper towel. Pro tip; if you try this use good quality paper towel as the cheap stuff doesn’t stand up to this very well.

I used markings from and Xtradecals sheet which included an RCAF Beaufighter of 404 Squadron and they behaved very well under Mr. Decal Softener. With the decals on and set, I gave the model another quick polish and sealed the decals with a final gloss coat.

These aircraft worked in extremely hostile environment and were exposed to sun, salt, and frequent poor weather. This played havoc with the paint finish. Additional effects to note were the red oxide applied to the wing root joins and, it appears in photos, around the cannon bays under the nose. I mixed my own colour for this and applied by hand brushing on the wing roots and with my airbrush on the cannon bays. The application of the red oxide can be clearly seen in the gallery below.

I began the weathering process with a dark wash to ensure the control surfaces and selected access panels were suitably evident as they appear on the actual aircraft. Except for the forgoing I typically don’t wash into regular panel lines; these being accented differently in the next step.

I used a lightened Dark Sea Grey to build in some texture on the upper surfaces and a pale canvas coloured mix for the undersides. I focus on putting down a semi-random pattern though I paid attention to which parts of the airframe would get the most exposure to the elements. I further accented the texture with a darkened mix for both top and bottom sides applied in areas where grime would accumulate through operations, maintenance or dirt as well as to subtly enhance the airframe panels. It’s very easy to overdo this effect but I feel less is more and hope that I stopped before the effect becomes a caricature of itself.

Next, I applied the first flat coat in preparation for the pastels which are used for the typical dirt streaking from maintenance such as at the control surface hinges and of course the engines. I prefer the control of pastels vs using the airbrush though I’ll often use it to enhance and effect or where significant staining is required. When I was happy with the underside weathering, I finished it off completely and then turned the model over to finish the top sides in the same manner. See the final effect of the pastel weathering in the images of the underside shown below.

I used pastels to weather the roundels as well using a pale blue to break up the uniformity of the colours. Photos of the aircraft show that other than general grime and the effects of the environment on the paint, there was not a lot of paint chipping or what I would call wear and tear on these aircraft. I followed the evidence and did not apply much in the way of chipping and other “dings” to the model.

The final steps are in some ways the most nerve wracking; unmasking and in particular, the aerial wire being of special stress to me! However, no issues – it was finished.

References and Credits

Shop Making-History

A print based on this article is available on Shop Making-History (link).

Copyright:  I claim original work and Copyright 2019 for the text in this article and the photos of the model.  Except where noted otherwise, I sourced all other images and photos from the internet and are used under fair-use.  Any copyrighted images will be removed or credited forthwith upon request by its rightful owner.

37 thoughts

    1. Oh wow, what an amazing resource. I wish I’d known about that when I wrote my piece. It’ll make for a couple of evenings’ reading for sure.


      1. This blog has been dormant for awhile. I am just hoping for relatives of these men to contact me like the Lauzon family who has shared their father’s photos. I have updated the blog adding a sticky post and translating a few posts about André Lauzon and his pilot and Roger Savard with his navigator J. Middleton.


  1. About being dormant… I got this message yesterday…

    My cousin (my granddad’s brother’s son) Frank Edward Pickering was the Flying Officer who died alongside Flight Lieutenant Adams on 6 May 1944. I love the website thank you for bringing the 404 squadron back into the fore. Just a question have they ever found any of the plane wreckage in the Norwegian waters or is it just a no go? I have a great interest in World War II and hold both my Canadian cousins in high regard. Frank’s brother Thomas William Pickering died in his role as a bomb aimer in an Anson which crashed into the side of Scafell Pike, Cumberland in September 1943.

    Now I know how I will build that model kit. He was flying Beaufighter LZ443 “L”.


    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you for sharing that; messages like these are so poignant in the way they bring the stories a very human factor that can’t be found in any other way.


  2. So poignant that I checked my stash this morning. I had the Mk VI… no the Mk X, so I decided to buy the Mk X.

    Pickering and Adams were on their first operation. They were flying 2 L.


      1. I always share what I build. This is why I am at My Forgotten Hobby III right now. However it might take time, but I should place a high priority on this one.

        Liked by 1 person

  3. 8 august 1944, 404 RCAF lost one crew too this day. You forgot to write it… Robert Samuel Forestell, pilot and Ian Crichton Robbie, navigator. Beaufighter NE 354. They both rest in France at the Barbâtre cemetery on the island of Noirmoutier.

    Michel Moracchini from Barbâtre


  4. Is there any information on Allen Bundy as to the ID numbers on his plane? I am from Summerside where he got training before being shipped to the UK.


  5. My uncle Jack Perry was in the squad and received the Distinguished Flying Cross but I have never been able to find out why. Only came across a reference to ‘took some good photos’. Wondered if anyone might know something.


      1. PERRY, WO (now P/O) Jack (R109092 and J90597) – Distinguished Flying Cross – No.404 Squadron – Award effective 24 November 1944 as per London Gazette dated 5 December 1944 and AFRO 425/45 dated 9 March 1945. Born 29 May 1921 at Lethbridge, Alberta; home in North Lethbridge; enlisted in Calgary 25 June 1941. To No.2 Manning Depot, 9 July 1941. To No.4 SFTS (non-flying duties), 14 August 1941. To No.4 ITS, 25 September 1941; promoted LAC, 22 November 1941 and posted that date to No.5 EFTS. Ceased training on 20 January 1942. To No.9 AOS, 14 February 1942; to No.1 BGS, 23 May 1942; to No.1 ANS, 4 July 1942; graduated and promoted Sergeant, 21 August 1942. To “Y” Depot, date uncertain; to RAF overseas, 26 October 1942. Commissioned 25 July 1944. Promoted Flying Officer, 20 January 1945. Repatriated via Debert, 23 July 1945. Released 13 September 1945. Medal presented 9 July 1949. Earned both a BA and a Masters at the University of Alberta Excelling in sports, he received Block A and Wilson awards at the University for outstanding athletic and scholastic achievements. On graduation, Jack became a mentor to a wide range of students for decades in Edmonton schools. Upon his retirement he obtained a NAIT certificate in electronics. Died in Edmonton, 29 June 2002. RCAF photo PL-28087 (ex UK-8976 dated 18 March 1944) shows him back of Beaufighter tail; caption says he was an apprentice electrician before the war and was now a navigator. RCAF photo PL-36837 dated July 1945 shows eight decorated RCAF officers from Alberta aboard SS Stratheden as it docked in Quebec: Front Row, left to right, F/L D.W. Schmidt, DFC and Bar, Wetaskiwin; F/O H.E. Patch, DFM, Vegreville; F/L G.A. Berry, DFC, Lloydminster; F/O J. Perry, Lethbridge; Back Row, left to right, F/L J.M. Calder, DFC, Edmonton; F/L G.L. Scott, DFC, Innisfail; F/O G.P. Bodard, DFC, Edmonton; F/L E.S. Dunn, DFC, Calgary and formerly of Medicine Hat. RCAF photo PL-41456 (ex UK-17713 dated 21 December 1944) shows members of No.404 Squadron at readiness, playing cards – left to right, P/O J. Perry, DFC (Lethbridge), F/O Don Embully (Napanee, Ontario), F/O H. Smook (Winnipeg), F/O J. Tomes, DFC (Winnipeg), F/O Bob Keale (Kingston, Ontario) and F/L Hugh Watlington, DFM (Hamilton, Bermuda). This Warrant Officer has completed many operational sorties. On all occasions, often under difficulties and in adverse weather he has guided his aircraft safely to the target and back. In addition Warrant Officer Perry has obtained some excellent photographs.

        Liked by 1 person

  6. Thank you. Yes, the link above references ‘has obtained some excellent photographs.’ Doesn’t really explain the DFO award, but I seem to remember my mother thinking it had something to do with ‘rockets’. No idea what that means.
    He was a very accomplished guy. I have a newspaper clipping that states he held the middleweight boxing championship of the RAF and RCAF overseas. He was also awarded the Wilson Trophy for outstanding athlete at the University of Alberta. He was a former Lethbridge Herald carrier boy.

    His younger brother George Sidney was not so fortunate. K258127. Born November 11, 1925. Lost with his Halifax bomber crew on September 13th, 1944. The letters to my grandmother over a period of a year from the RCAF are unbearably sad to read. And then every November 11th, the same day he was born. Imagine. His name is on the memorial in Calgary on 5th avenue . I never pass by without placing my fingers over his name.

    Thank you for the information.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you for the comments and sharing the info about your uncles; I looked but wasn’t able to come up with anything better than Pierre’s info.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s